July 21, 2012
Dr. Anu Bajaj, M.D.
Botox and Fillers, botox, botox cosmetic, dysport, uses for botox

What’s the Difference Between Dysport and Botox?

The subtle differences between the two treatments.

Botox has become somewhat synonymous with botulinum toxin, from which the medication is derived. But Botox is just the brand name of one form of the medication on the market, like how “Kleenex” is just a brand of tissue paper. A competitor does exist on the market, and it’s called Dysport.

Dysport and Botox both originate from botulinum toxin type A, but there are some subtle differences.

One such difference is the amount of dilution in the medication. A vile of Dysport contains 500 Units of the toxin and 125 micrograms of albumin and is usually diluted to 200 U/ml. Meanwhile, Botox has 100 Units of toxin, 500 micrograms of albumin, and is diluted to 25-50 U/ml. Both medications work the same way, however, by weakening the facial muscles.

Another difference is cost. Botox injections can run anywhere between $300 and $500 each. Dysport, however, is Botox’s competitor, having been FDA for cosmetic purposes relatively recently. Dysport injections typically cost less than Botox injections, topping off at about $300. Competition is healthy, and Dysport’s lower price tag could compel Botox to lower its prices down the road.

A study was performed to compare the two drugs in 2011, and the results showed that Dysport improved the appearance of crow’s feet significantly better than Botox, but these results were only obvious when the patients contracted their facial muscles as much as possible. There was no noticeable difference when muscles were at rest.

Side effects are generally mild-to-non-existent for both drugs, but can include: injection site pain, flu-like symptoms, muscle weakness, droopy eyelids, and more. More severe side effects such as chest pain, trouble swallowing, speech problems, and allergic reactions should be brought to the attention of a physician.

As always, the best way to decide which option is right for you is to consult with your plastic surgeon.